Undergraduate / Postgraduate Programmes
|Program||Bachelor of Metallurgy Engineering|
|Head of department||Dr. Indravadan B. Dave|
|Year of starting||2008|
A relatively novel undergraduate program in Metallurgy Engineering at Government Engineering College, Sector - 28, Gandhinagar has been designed to train engineering graduates who would be effective in meeting the emerging trends in our country in advanced materials as well as in Metallurgical Engineering. The Department is offering an eight semester Bachelor degree program since the academic year 2008-09. The faculty team is a fine blend of young, dynamic and experienced individuals who impart knowledge in the areas of Physical Metallurgy, Mineral Processing, Foundry Technology, Iron & Steel Manufacturing, Metal Forming and Metal Joining, Powder Metallurgy, Non-destructive Testing and other Characterization Techniques. Students are given an exposure to the advanced areas like Nanotechnology, Smart Materials, Alloy Design, Failure Analysis & Selection of Materials and latest Characterization Techniques as a part of their curriculum or their projects. An in-depth study of the area of special interest of the student is undertaken through departmental elective courses and project work. Their overall study at college is supplemented by industrial training during summer preceding the fourth year of the program, educational tours and expert talks. Project work, both practical and computer based, in the fourth year of the program, enables the students to carry out independent research utilizing various skills learnt during the program.
- Developing excellence in Metallurgy Engineering education through research, development innovation and team work for the benefit of society and environment
- To prepare competent metallurgy engineers who can apply metallurgical fundamentals to control and manage different metallurgical and materials processing operations to produce quality metals products in industries.
- To deliver information about current trends in the field of metallurgy and materials to the students.
- To encourage students to work on innovative projects related to metallurgy engineering for managing defects free, economical, energy efficient products, processes or devices to best serve the nation to fulfill the socio-economic, techno-commercial and environmental needs
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO1 Select and perform processes for ore dressing, manufacturing / joining products and modifying the properties of materials.
- PEO2 Test the materials for their properties and suggest methods of protecting them from material degradation and failure.
- PEO3 Metallurgy engineering graduates will work effectively as individuals and as team members in multidisciplinary projects.
- PEO4 Engage in lifelong learning, career enhancement and adopt to changing professional and societal needs.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
- PSO 1 Apply their knowledge in the domain of Metal Joining and Non-destructive testing to undertake the challenges of the related industries.
- PSO 2 Successfully apply the principles of analysis and implementation of Metal Joining and Non-destructive Testing which have been learned as a part of curriculum.
- PSO 3 To groom students to become an employable or to pursue higher studies.
Dr. Indravadan B. Dave
Head Of Departmentibdave@gecg28.ac.in
Prof. Sunil Patel
Dr. Daulat Sharma
Prof. Harshadkumar Jadav
Dr. Purvesh Nanavati
Prof. Devangkumar Mahant
Prof. Bhavesh Rana
Prof. Hemenkumar Thakar
Dr. Minal Dani
Prof. Renu C. Ghanghas
Metal Joining Lab
Metal Joining lab has TIG and MIG with MMAW welding machines purchased under TEQIP II grant. This equipment is used to give practical exposure of major welding processes. The lab is utilized for student project and various STTP and FDP programs.
Foundry Technology Lab
Foundry Technology brings together basic metal casting phenomena which helps the students to learn basic casting processes. The major equipment of the lab is resistance melting furnace which is useful to melt the different non-ferrous metals and cast the metal by different routes. The laboratory also equipped with various sand testing equipment like permeability meter, sand rammer, Core Hardness Tester, sieve shaker, Rapid Moisture Tester, etc. The lab is also utilized for projects
Physical Metallurgy and Heat treatment Lab
Physical metallurgy and heat treatment lab equipped with image analyzer, microscopes, and muffle furnace. The lab is utilized for macro and microscopic analysis of the different ferrous and non-ferrous samples. Moreover, students’ are performed heat treatment of plain carbon steel and alloy steel based on the curriculum. The lab is very useful for project and characterization purpose
Material Degradation and Prevention
The corrosion and wear study of materials required to control the material degradation issues. The pin on disc wear testing machine is used to measure the wear behavior of the materials. The various coatings and corrosion studies were performed. This lab is utilized for undergraduate laboratory experiments and project work. Outside college students and faculties are also benefited by lab facilities
Non-Destructive Testing and Centre for Quality – NDT
Non-destructive testing lab is equipped with Digital Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with IIW V1, V2 and SB-10 calibration block and different frequency Normal, Angle and TR probes. Centre for Quality - NDT is established under Vibrant Gujarat MoU between GEC and Gulfnde, Ahmedabad for Rs. 11,30,000/-. Testing facilities for LPT, MPT, UT and Imaging radiographic films set up under this MoU. The facility is utilized for hands on practice and also for different training programs
Mineral Processing Lab
Mineral processing lab is equipped with a lab scale jaw crusher, Roll crusher, Ball mill, air classifier. Students can perform experiments on basic size reduction and separation processes for different ores and minerals
Computer Lab is equipped with 15 PC consoles and utilized for the first year computer programming as well as final year project. The lab has virtual IIT-Bombay Virtual Lab facility for virtual practical on metal working processes